[pianotech] Terry's Comments<G>

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jan 30 19:40:41 MST 2011

Actually, I was referring to Nick's piano project. The picture I
provided was of a late 40's Wurly Spinet that a lady wanted
"refurbished" - i.e. catch up on neglected maintenance and to make it
look like new. So I had it refinished, polished up the brass, put new
speaker cloth in the knee-board, and did the usual to the workings -
filed hammers, regulated, key bushings, ran the keys over the buffer,
etc., etc. - that's all.

I think Nick's project is something worth doing. He is dealing with
one of my fundamental turning points. I will always recommend to piano
owners a cost-beneficial way to go about getting the piano they want -
whether it is refurbishing, rebuilding, remanufacturing/redesigning -
or simply replacing the darn thing - very often IMHO, replacement is
the way to go.  Nick's piano falls into that category of: "this was my
gandma's piano and it is the only piano that will ever be in my living
room - AND I want a new piano that sounds and plays well."  When that
happens, redesign & remanufacture is the way to go - regardless of
what you have to start with.

Could be interesting........

Terry Farrell