[pianotech] the big discussion

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 21:25:12 MST 2011

This whole discussion led me to spend the afternoon messing around with
Tunelab in the shop on a Yamaha console. The pitch raise worked out OK, but
I was not happy with the tuning curve that it came up with for the fine
tuning. After messing around with it for quite a while I gave up.

It seemed to do well on the lower half of the piano, but I couldn't get the
stretch in octaves 4 and 5 to match what my ear wanted. In order to get the
curve where I wanted it in that area, the treble part of the curve was
through the ceiling sharp! The program is made to be able to custom adjust
the curve, but I could not get the shape that I wanted no matter how I
tried.

People keep comparing ETDs to computers. But if I was using a calculator
that made me want to check its answers every few minutes, I would throw it
in the garbage!! I'm absolutely convinced that ETD's can help you accomplish
a mediocre tuning in less time and less stress. But, like many have said,
you can't rely on it for the correct answer. You have to know how to tweak
it.

The pitch raise is perhaps the best aspect of them. I can also see how you
could get a temperament figured out pretty efficiently. Beyond that, I don't
trust 'em.

Sometime I'll have to spend some time with someone who really knows the
program. Maybe there is something I'm missing. It would be interesting to
try Cybertuner and see if the results would be more to my liking.

Anyways, for now I'm sticking to the old fashioned way!

Ry

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter