[pianotech] Nitrocellulose Lacquer: Stirred, Shaken, or Left Alone?

Nicholas Gravagne ngravagne at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 10:38:55 MST 2011

Hi Paul,

Can we have more info here? How old is this D? It appears that you
hung a new set of S&S NY hammers, and the instrument sounds too dull.
Could you flesh this out a bit more.

For example, besides finding worn out hammers, what can you tell us
about the tone? Were you able to get a reasonable sense of the
inherent tone quality and quantity (aka is the belly giving forth or
not), did you pluck the strings, for example, or hang some temporary
hammers of any other maker somewhere in the scale to get a "look-see"?
Were you getting complaints from the players?

Depending on any particular NY hammer set it is very likely that a
top-to-bottom juicing is necessary. I have heard that some sets are
coming out of NY pre-lacquered, and to varying degrees at that (I have
heard one such set). As to overdoing it with the juice, as long as you
can insert needles (or even a single needle) fairly easily you are in
no danger.

A S&S D is a performance piano, and these typically need to be
toned-up considerably. But is this what your player/s want? Those
experienced with S&S NY hammers have been known to brighten them up to
just past the point of having gone too far (also, this comes from the
S&S voicing classes as given by E. Shandall and J. Patton), then
backing them off with well placed single needle shots directly down in
the crown, and at each string groove.

4:1 (a 5 part mixture, BTW) is as strong as I generally go, but mostly
to soak shoulders at the 9 -11 o'clock and 3 - 1 o'clock positions.
This will focus the tone (or begin to, anyway), but not necessarily
build all the available power, which (more or less) comes from a hard
nodule of felt compression density/juice living directly under the
crown and above the point of the molding.

Paul, you are an excellent pianist! Now is the time to be objective.
Are you really getting the power you need as things stand now?

You have done the right thing in consulting this list, but in order
for the best guidance we would need (I would anyway) more initial info
followed by ongoing feedback.

Thanks!