[pianotech] [Pianotek] the big discussion

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Jan 31 15:40:56 MST 2011

David, you certainly have bought into the PTG tuning test as the
ultimate reality for tuning quality.

I tend to approach the issue of tuning quality in a more ( .... global?
.... ) manner. Maybe it's partly to do with the way men and women view
reality, though we don't want to start a gender war. In general (and one
can't make blanket assumptions) men tend to focus very tightly, and use
the left hemisphere. Women, with 12 connections across the corpus
callosum instead of one, use both hemispheres and blend a lot of
different aspects of a problem instead of focusing on just one. (as in,
CENTS DEVIATION FROM THE ACCEPTED NORM!!!) So, sometimes women seem sort
of scatty to men, air-headed and all over the place, but from their own
point of view, they are blending many different aspects of a situation,
so they experience a more complicated reality (and will tell you about
it BY THE HOUR!)

Tunings are more than just cents. Octave stretches are subtle. There is
no RIGHT versus WRONG. Would you like for your aural tuning to by 85%
RIGHT? Or 100% RIGHT? I don't think tuning works this way, on a musical
plane. And when you propose equally "solid" unisons, as if they were a
single, known quantity, I don't think unisons work like that, either.
Unisons combine with voicing to give the piano a tone of voice. Of
course one doesn't want them wandering all over, but staying put is only
the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the character of unisons. This
is highly individual. Each tuner (and sometimes even the less officially
skilled ones) imparts his or her own voice to a piano. This voice is
part of what certain (but certainly not ALL) ETD tuners may lose contact
with. Thinking "Right, Wrong" by the hour might blunt that sense of the
subtle tone of voice, which also has to take into account each piano's
own unique character. Some instruments seem almost TOO human!

This is one reason I <shudder> when people talk about needing to get
through 5 pianos a day, five or six days a week. Not just because I'd
crash after trying three a day for a week, and be fit for nothing for
quite awhile. Of course this bulk work does need doing, and families
need supporting. The machine tuning, intelligently used, will get these
pianos to an acceptable state in a short time each. But something
personal is lost in this quantity of overwork, IMO, and that personal
activity with a piano, especially a good piano, can deliver something to
a customer not measured in percentages.

Consider someone (the poor silly) who has a somewhat (oddball? but
sweet) sense of tone and a wonderful sense of stretch, but maybe his
unisons aren't "solid", maybe they even have some beating, but the way
he glues them together gives a sort of charming (if eccentric)
personality to an instrument. Ted Sambell has a lovely story about an
old lady who cried after he tuned her old neglected piano because
without the beating unisons her piano didn't "sing" anymore. So he
carefully put exactly the same little beat in the left string of each
and every note. (Hi, Ted! I hope I'm remembering this wonderful story
right.) And then she told him, "Well, at least you finally got it
right!" Continuing on with my own hypothetical silly tuner story ...
suppose his temperament isn't so hot, either, but by long practice he's
got it figured out so that most of the fifths of the common keys are
nearly beatless, the fourths of the common keys are tolerable, and the
mess gets shoved into places less likely to show up when playing simple
music. (And lots of customers play only simple music.) In essence, this
individual version of not-quite-equal seems to me to be a common 19th
century approach to tuning. Now, adding all this up, when people without
much contact with high quality concert tuning play simple music on the
old uprights this guy tunes, it sounds .... well, very nice. And he
probably would get about 40% on the PTG tuning test, if that. Tune it
spiffy-perfect 100% PTG standard -- well, they might absolutely despise it.

For other customers, it would be pretty awful, no doubt, but I find
customers tend to figure out who suits them, if they have a variety of
piano techs to try.

You talk about fighting the public image that a computer tuning is less
musical than an aural tuning. That very persistent image was earned fair
and square about twenty-five years ago. How stubborn this idea remains
once established is something tuners should probably have guessed before
they pulled out their SOT's and ignored complaints from their customers
by telling them that the machines were right. I take everyone's word for
it that the quality of the ETD tunings bears no comparison with the
earlier ones, and this stereotype of machine tuning has been fading for
awhile. I don't hear it nearly as often as I used to, so ... there's
hope for the digitally enhanced piano tech. Many probably don't hear
this complaining at all anymore.

In this discussion we've been talking over and over about "highly
skilled" on both sides of the aisle. I'm not sure I'd use that term
exclusively. Perhaps it might be more realistic to say that some aural
tuners (SOME of them, mind) are "differently skilled."

Susan Kline