[pianotech] What do you say?

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Mon Jan 31 17:25:59 MST 2011

What do you say to a customer who sets up an appointment with you for a week or two from now, and then says, "can you call me to remind me the day before?"

I want to say, "so who was your secretary before I came along?", or, "isn't you mommy taking care of you anymore?", but I know that's rude. But at the same time, I don't think it's my responsibility to have to remind people of their appointments.

Now I know some of you call your customers the night before as a regular procedure, but I've never done that. I get a call from my doctor the day before, to remind me I've got an appointment.
I feel insulted that they have to call me to remind me. I've talked with several customers who feel like I do. If I set up an appointment, it's my responsibility to keep that appointment. If people aren't more organized than that, that's not my problem..

By the same token, however, I do have "no-shows", like this afternoon. Perhaps a call last night would have reminded her I will be there. But I've got better things to do with my time.

So what do you say to those who do want a reminder?

Wim