[pianotech] Copper recycling of bass strings

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Fri Jul 1 06:50:35 MDT 2011

Rob

When I make universals in the shop, I put the loop in a vice, and then grab the end of the copper at the other end, and start pulling backwards. Of course that's only ro remove a few inches. To do the entire length, she should keep cutting off the loose wire to keep it from spinning. This won't work very well on the thinner strings, about size 10 or higher. On the very thick wire it will be difficult to get an end started

Wim

PS. I've often wondered if this was worth doing to work. With the price of copper as high as it is now, it might not be worth it for us, but it might worth it for a pre-teen.