[pianotech] Right Here, Right Now (was Stuff Which Should Really Be on PTG-L)(OT)

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Jul 1 14:38:45 MDT 2011

Hey Ryan,

I might have a problem coming up with $450/year for dues.  I'm, as you
know, a CAUT, and due to all the university cuts in this and that, my
salary has not gone up for 2 years, and wasn't huge to begin with.  My
fault I guess for getting into the university setting.  When I began, I
was in love with this job, as I could finally just do all the things I
have learned over the years without selling anything.  My clientele was,
on average, not interested in anything but basic service. Now, I rebuild,
restring, etc with only my budget to argue with.  And...it's a very nice
budget...just got bumped up, too!  a lot!, but my salary only just got
raised 2%. Amazing, though, considering the state of the U. I guess they
like me and know they're getting a great bargain for my services. The 2%
doesn't even begin to catch up with what I started with.  It was my
gamble, and I lost.

However, my salary has not gone up by very much since I started here 5
years ago. With all the everything else that has gone up, it's pretty much
swallowed up in life, so a $450 dues charge would be quite a tough hit on
my family...especially right after the holiday season.

I have no way to raise my rates to compensate.  It is a great thing we
have in PTG, but I would hate for a lot of folks to drop out just because
they can't afford it. That would create a bad scene.

Best,

Paul