[pianotech] SnS Rim Screws, (bolts)

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 3 22:45:32 MDT 2011

Del said: "It is conceivable that string bearing could be increased by
tightening plate
screws or bolts. If the plate is sitting slightly high because the bolts are
on the loose side then string bearing could increase. The original post,
however, said that "crown is back.where it was flat." As I said, I cannot
conceive of any way tightening the plate screws or bolts in any piano could
accomplish this."

Del,
If you think like a "regualar technician", for  a moment, you'll get the
implied meaning of what Joe Goss,(the other one<G>), was referring to. Most
techs measure Down Bearing and equate that to "crown". You know, and so do
I, that that is incorrect, but that's what Joe Goss is talking about, I
think. (correct me, if I'm wrong Joe<G>) In that vein, if you put "down
bearing" where there was none, you, in essence add a bit of "latent energy"
to the soundboard, which translates into a more solid interconnetion
between the string(s) and the bridge/soundboard structure. This, IMO, will
add to the sustain time, beause, less energy is lost to inefficiency of
poor termination. It's why a good solid termination gives the desired
results we all seek. IF, the soundboard has "crown", ( I choose to call it
latent energy w/in the soundboard), then we get sustain. Correct? Well,
it's the way I look at it anyway.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.