[pianotech] [OT] Stuff Which Should Really Be on PTG-L

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Tue Jul 5 15:58:31 MDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Duaine Hechler <dahechler at att.net> wrote:
> I also maintain my barbershopper chapters' website, in which, I downloaded,
> installed, and customizing eGroupware.

Yes, you are commended on your creative use of Open Source software to
you and your associates' advantage.

But please stop pushing the idea that it is "free," as it only
confuses the situation the PTG is trying to deal with on the Higher
Logic issue. Without many more volunteer hours than the PTG has
already expended, how are they to investigate, select, implement, and
maintain a software package to support a diverse audience (and not
just the pianotech list)?

> From where I sit and from all the emails going back and forth, the email
> list portion was not properly considered, tested and implemented. It seems
> to be treated as an after-thought then quickly slapped together.

That may be true. To me, it's clear from the design of the Higher
Logic site that it was never intended as an email list, but as a
web-based community. And so yes, you would expect that its email
discussion feature is somewhat of an afterthought.

> P.S. Shifting gears, what is wrong with the currently email list (mailman) ?
> I noticed it is not the most current release ?

Nothing is functionally wrong with it, as far as I can tell. It's
sounding like, after the uproar, keeping it around is being worked on.
As to its release version, I think there hasn't been a compelling
reason to upgrade it, so it's hasn't been.

Jim