[pianotech] Broadwood Barless Grand

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Thu Jul 7 13:19:11 MDT 2011

I had more or less the same thoughts as Del expressed in regards to the idea
of having an uninterrupted bridge line as a primary motivation.   And it
seems that,  in these days of aluminum action rails, they could be made
strong enough to span the distance from bass tenor break to the top treble
end bracket.  If there were no breaks, the keys would not have to be angled
nearly so much as you proceed into the treble.  Also, the length of the
bridge would not have to be as great, unless one wanted to use the same
length bridge and space the notes a little further apart.  Same for the
action parts spacing .

I still find this a fascinating design, and wonder if contemporary piano
engineers could rethink this design and modify it to advantage.

Will