[pianotech] Challen grand with double overstringing

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Jul 7 13:20:45 MDT 2011

At 4'10" and shot...why are you doing anything with it?  It looks like
more work than it will ever be worth.....Could be a nightmare while awake!

Paul

From:
"Tom Driscoll" <tomtuner at verizon.net>
To:
<pianotech at ptg.org>
Date:
07/07/2011 02:17 PM
Subject:
[pianotech] Challen grand with double overstringing

list,
  I have one pic (more to be sent my way soon) of a 4' 10" Challen grand
piano from 1935.
  Close examination will show that the small aux. bridge is overstrung
from the long bridge and the bass strings overstrung from both. Double
overstrung? Both the bass and aux. bridge are cantilevered .
The thing is shot so it's hard to make any judgements on what it may have
sounded like,but it's interesting at any rate.
 More pics to follow.
Tom Driscoll[attachment "IMG_4426.jpg" deleted by Paul T
Williams/Music/UNL/UNEBR]