[pianotech] Challen grand with double overstringing

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Jul 7 14:11:38 MDT 2011

Hi Tom, I've come across a few of these. They don't sound great!  And I
think they probably didn't even when brand new.

There are a few Challen small grands, both double overstrung and
ordinary overstrung, in my area, dating from the 1920s and 1930s.
Challen seem to have been good at marketing between the world wars.  In
my observation, they are very solidly built, but just not
impressive-sounding pianos.

Best regards,

David Boyce.