[pianotech] Tension and compression in soundboard panels

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jul 7 16:36:08 MDT 2011

On 7/7/2011 4:52 PM, David Love wrote:

> So the next question is where does the bulk of soundboard compression damage
> take place, at the top of the panel or at the bottom of the panel.

I can't see that it makes any difference. The top and bottom are so
nearly equivalent in compression levels, there's nothing you can do
about it either way. These are differences much smaller than those
realized from one piece of wood to the next. and well below the inherent
"noise" in the system.

My take, anyway.
Ron N