[pianotech] Broadwood Barless Grand

Alan Forsyth forsyth93 at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 10 15:51:11 MDT 2011

Hi Del

Your touching upon the straight strung idea is not a coincidence when talking about the barless grand. Decades ago when asking the olde codgers as to the purpose of the barless grand, I was informed that the reason was for purity of sound. Again asking about the popularity of straight strung grands and uprights well in to the 20th century, (here at any rate), the answer was the same - purity of sound. It apparently was to avoid that jangling metallic sound if I could put it that way. It was believed that the iron struts caused acoustic interference in an overstrung arrangement and even the strings themselves crossing over each other created an interference in the sound as well.

The Broadwood barless piano is a particularly easy piano to tune aurally and made even more so by the absence of clutter on the desktop as it were (nothing in the way)! The Broadwood straight strung grand of the same era has the easiest bass to tune that I have come across even though it has wound trichords way down into the low bass.

AF