[pianotech] New string broke twice

Patrick C. Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 12 15:10:59 MDT 2011

Noah: I had the same thing happen to me with a Schaff string which I ordered through Pianotek. I also could feel the tension increasing too quickly, and the string snapped at the tuning pin. I asked for a replacement, and could feel the same overly rapid increase in tension. I didn't bring it up to pitch completely  because I could see that the winding was ending way too short from where it would be, as judged by comparison to the existing left unison. I am having a string made by Mapes from measurements, and hope their's does the job. I have never had this kind of problem before with any bass string. Anyone have any ideas? Bad core wire, perhaps?
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
530-265-1983