[pianotech] Measuring Crown Radius

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jul 12 21:02:36 MDT 2011

Just one point for now, so you're saying that the rib in a compression
system offers nothing as a functional supporting member?  Why?  So let's
assume a rib in that system is glued to a panel at 4.5% EMC.  At that level
you say it's not a functional supporting member.  So then when does it
become a functional supporting member?  At 5%, 6%, 7%?  Are you saying it's
only a supporting member if it's crowned and glued to panel at 6% or higher?
That doesn't make sense.  A beam is a beam whether it's crowned or not.
It's relative strength may be influenced some be crowning (don't know about
that), by tapering at the ends (a feature that ribs in RC&S boards also
have) but it still functions as a beam.

So the quantifiable analysis of ribs in compression crowned systems is there
for the taking just as in any other system.  There are certainly other
factors in play and they certainly vary between systems and designs but that
doesn't redefine it as something other than a beam.  If it does then it
suggests that RC&S systems have crossed over into another universe.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com