[pianotech] Measuring Crown Radius

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jul 13 13:18:19 MDT 2011

On 7/13/2011 1:58 PM, David Love wrote:
> I know that argument has been made but unless someone can actually show me
> how a panel crowned by simply gluing it into the rim without any ribs
> attached at a low EMC that causes it to crown up will be structurally more
> capable of load bearing (let's put stability aside for a minute) than one in
> which ribs are attached and caused to bend by panel compression prior to
> gluing it into the piano then I don't buy it.

Jeez man, what the hell are you drinking? No one that I know of has ever
claimed anything remotely like that. Read the posts. Read what they say.
There's nothing like that here.

>Because that's the
> implication, that the unribbed panel when compression crowned will have
> superior load bearing properties to the ribbed panel, or, more reasonably,
> that a compression crowned panel with 5 mm tall ribs (let's assume the same
> width) rather than 20 mm tall ribs will have more load bearing capacity
> because the ribs will contribute less negatively.

Again, no one has ever suggested an unribbed panel in any capacity. READ
THE POSTS. I can't explain anything at all to you if you invent
implications instead of making an effort at understanding the basic
mechanics.

Ron N