[pianotech] New string broke twice

Noah Frere noahfrere at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 22:13:22 MDT 2011

Okay, confused.
I read through the calculations page, did your calculation examples therein
to make sure I was using the calculator correctly, and plugged in my values.
However, my results differ significantly. I assume I am doing something
wrong. Here is what I got (*in italics)*:

*T=(fld)sqrd/K

Using .116" diameter:
T=(78*80cm*.295cm)sqrd/19400
T=174.67

Now, using 70% of this T, calculate diameter:
70% of 174.67# = 122.27#

*d=sqrt(K*t)/f*l
*d=sqrt(19400*122)/78*80
d=.247 cm = 2.47 mm = .097"*

Assuming that 308# tension is needed to bring the .118" string to pitch
(though I don't know how), using 70% of 300#:

d=sqrt(19400*210)/78*80
d=2018.4/6240
d=.323cm = 3.2 mm = .127"

Interestingly, the example on the Calculation webpage of yours is very near
my case, only it is a half-step higher and 10 cm longer. The resulting
diameter in your example is 2.63 mm, or .104", which is about half-way
between your recommended diameter of .093" and my current diameter of .116".

Also, using a lower tension of 190# (like in your example) yeilds a diameter
of 3.08 mm, or .121", only slightly lower than the above diameter.

Note that in either calculation, the resulting d is above what I was going
to order (.116").

Questions: why did our calculations differ?
How do we know what T to shoot for?

I apologize if any of this is less than spectacular. I haven't done math
like this in many years and apparently that part of my brain has atrophied,