[pianotech] New string broke twice

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 04:02:00 MDT 2011

At 21:48 -0500 12/07/2011, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>...So the G#-2, with 0.040" core and 0.118" overall wrap comes to
>pitch at around 304 lbs, which is very near JD's result by similar
>method...

Yes, the precise figure is not important and can only be arrived at
if you know the precise average density of the speaking length, which
you could only obtain by weighing, and that would be a waste of time
and effort, since the error will amount to only a few pounds.  In my
day to day work I use 20000 for K in my formula, or rather just 2,
because it's quick and dirty and tells me what I need to know. If
you're working in inches then K can be 480.

JD