[pianotech] Measuring Crown Radius

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 15:07:53 MDT 2011

At 12:16 -0700 14/07/2011, David Love wrote:

>...As I said, I believe the differences between CC boards and RC&S
>boards are, on a practical level, one of degree not of kind and the
>differences are characterized by where the bulk of the load is
>focused....

In "compression crowning", from what I have gathered from repeated
mentions on this list of this extraordinary practice, the whole
board, with bars (ribs) and bridge (?) already attached is dried
down, then cut exactly to size and clamped and glued to the rim, to
which the case is already attached.  I presume that at least the
barred side of the board is also varnished beforehand.  As the board
takes on moisture and expands (mainly across the grain) it is forced
to arch because it has nowhere to expand to.

Before I go on, is that roughly what takes place?  Please tell me if
I've got things wrong.

JD