[pianotech] Measuring Crown Radius

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 15:52:08 MDT 2011

At 16:22 -0500 14/07/2011, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>In CC crowning, the panel is dried down, then glued to flat ribs.
>Panel expansion as it takes on moisture then bends the ribs into a
>crown. The piano case isn't involved in the process, and the ribs
>needn't necessarily be dried down.

Whether they are or not would surely make quite a bit of difference.
If the case is not considered (by Steinway's for example) to be
involved in the process, why do they glue the case to the rim before
fitting the soundboard, thus causing themselves a lot of tiresome
work that could be avoided if they glued down the soundboard before
attaching the case, as many, if not most, makers do?

However that may be, the method seems to me inherently unstable.  For
one thing the bars (ribs) will ever afterwards be acting to remove
the crown, won't they?  If at any time the moisture content of the
board rises to a point where the board proper is crushed, then the
bars will be keen to relax and pull down the crown.

JD