[pianotech] Measuring Crown Radius

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 23:29:40 MDT 2011

Del:

Just to clarify my previous post as I sent it from a blackberry.  I assume
you were talking about this picture.  The picture has nothing to do with how
the rib is bent.  In fact it has nothing to do with *a rib* at all but
represents the entire assembly and its deflection characteristics under
increasing load.  The y axis represents crown and the x axis load.  As the
load increases the crown diminishes.  The crown diminishes at a faster rate
as the load is first added, but as the board stiffens with increasing load
the rate of deflection per lb diminishes.  That's all.

cid:image007.png at 01CC376C.19134270

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com