[pianotech] Plate screw problem

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Fri Jul 15 01:03:42 MDT 2011

> From: David Renaud <drjazzca at gmail.com>
> Date: July 14, 2011 8:46:10 PM EDT
>
> Plate screw snapped putting it back in.....old screw.....
> Left front corner of a boesendorfer plate. Open face block.....
> pin block is replaced and well attached to the stretcher and shelf...
> There are 2 other plate screws into the front shelf of the plate in that corner
> 6 inches or so from the corner, so perhaps that screw is redundant?
>
> I tried to drill it out with a titanium bit advertised to drill steel.....
> It ripped to shreds as attempting to drill it out, and now there is titanium in the hole also.
>
> Ideas?
> Tempted to fill it with epoxy And put in a short fat screw.........
> Are there drill bits out there that should handle cleaning this out to fill, plug and redrill?

Hi Dave,

I think this is one of those cases where a picture or three might be vey helpful, so if you have or can post any pics of the plate, the hole, the broken off stub, or whatever else you think might be relevant, please post them.

How long is the broken off top?  Did the screw break off flush with the surface of the wood (leaving the plate hole empty), or did it break off above or below the wood?

What diameter is the shaft of the broken off top?

Is this one of those typical plate corner screw holes in which the plate at the corner is quite tall, and the walls of the hole in the plate are consequently deep?

How far is it from the screw hole to the nearest tuning pin?

---

I have a few ideas, but don't even want to throw them out there without more info, as they may not be workable in your situation.

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh