[pianotech] agraffe replacement

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 01:29:19 MDT 2011

At 20:12 +0000 17/07/2011, you wrote:

>we have to replace an agraffe set in a 1960's Hamburg Steinway D.
>I was curious about which is your method to do so. This is my first
>time to install a Steinway ones:
>
>I was tought they should be:
>- 90 degrees squared to the string
>- With uniform height.
>
>About the 90 degrees: do you use a jig? how do you build this kind
>of jig? Just install by sight without jigs at all?

You can use lengths of wood about 12 x 3 in cross-section with the
end perfectly square running from the bridge pins to the agraffe, but
doing it by eye is not difficult.

>About the uniform height: do you take off only the odd numered
>agraffes first and install the new ones with the original even
>numbered agraffes as reference? Or is that not neccessary at all?

It is not guaranteed, especially on a 1960s D, that the agraffes were
originally at the right height.

>We are using original Hamburg Steinway agraffes 5.5 mm. How big is
>the turn we are able to do after the agraffes is contacting the iron
>frame without risk / break the agraffe? Do you prefer to reduce the
>iron frame to lower the agraffe or to install shims under the
>agraffe to raise it up?

Some new agraffes have a flat bottom but some have the bottom angled
|/ \| so that only the perimeter is in contact with the iron plate.
These have the advantage that when you tighten them right down, the
brass at the perimeter will crush, allowing you to get the agraffe
square without applying dangerous torque.  You can also put the shank
in a drill and pare down the outer pressure ring with a hard tool to
allow the agraffe to go lower without excessive torque.

I've looked at Jahn's and Baumgärtel's catalogues and neither of
them mention the two types, and I can't remember who supplied the
last set I installed.

JD