[pianotech] agraffe replacement

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 15:14:32 MDT 2011

At 16:58 -0400 18/07/2011, Ed  Sutton wrote:

>The place where we want the strings to be level is at the strike
>point, not at the plate. It should be possible to fix a straight
>edge at the strike line and set agraffe heights with a string
>stretched from bridge to agraffe.
>Not to claim I have done it this way, yet.

On the 1960s Hamburg Steinways I've come across you'd probably need
to counterbore right through the iron plate to get the agraffe to
hold the string at the proper strike height at least in the middle of
the scale.  Let's say this is a nice theory to be immediately
consigned to oblivion, since it could never be put into practice --
that's supposing you mean a straight straight-edge.

JD