[pianotech] agraffe replacement

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 08:44:27 MDT 2011

At 07:20 -0400 19/07/2011, George F Emerson wrote:

>I think not.  The fact that in some instances the ideal is not
>attainable should not preclude our striving to achieve that goal
>when it is possible. Not only should the agraffe counterbore result
>in a straight line at the strike point, but also factoring in the
>diameters of the strings, especially the wound strings.  But then,
>what do I know?  Most of my work is in cyberspace where everything
>comes out according to plan.

Well, Frank, in this thread we were asked for advice regarding a
1960's Hamburg Steinway, and my comments were made in this context.
For every 500 properly built pianos from other makers with a
variation of a millimetre of two in the strike height there is a
1960s Steinway with a frame made from a wooden pattern so worn out
that you can hardly read the embossed name in the casting.

JD