[pianotech] Damping issue

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 19 10:04:52 MDT 2011

Hi Duane:
	Are these shortened dampers next to the strut at the break?  Are the
strings level so that one is ringing (pluck test).
	 Often trichord felt has "legs" that are of different widths.  Since the
manufacturer is cutting the felt from one strip, all the felts have the
same problem.  So, many notes have a ringing problem, just like yours.
	I worked on a no-name grand yesterday that had a ringing note.  It worked
ok until you played the note softly.  The strings weren't level, and the
damper "legs" were of different widths.  I leveled the strings and squeezed
two of the strings together so the dampers worked properly.  Better fix
would have been to replace the damper felt, or cut the felt and put a
string to widen the stance of the felt "legs".
	Good luck.
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego