[pianotech] New string broke twice

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 14:06:18 MDT 2011

At 14:13 -0500 19/07/2011, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>Which is why those of us intimately familiar with these built in
>shortcomings tend to question and recheck our own measurements,
>hoping to minimize the screw ups.

Another thing to do is to get into the habit of estimating whatever
can be measured.  We have no difficulty telling whether a person is
5'6" or 5'8" or that a fish weighs 16 or 20 ounces even without
making a conscious practice of estimating such things.  It is amazing
how close you can get with practice and "habitual estimation".  So if
you have to measure a string that is 1.5 mm in diameter there is no
chance of getting the result 2.00 from the micrometer if you have
already estimated something around 1.50.  Not recommended, however,
for people prone to OCD.

JD