[pianotech] Mathuschek Square Grand

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 19 20:52:35 MDT 2011

Andrew said: "I've had the not-so-great pleasure of reviewing the needs of
Mathushek square grand. A -slim- majority of the keys worked. On
figuring out to lift the key slip and pull (carefully) the action I
determined that many of the jacks need to be "re-sprung". I tested
tuning pins at random and encountered string clicking and rather tight
pins, so: barring breaking strings it should be tunable. The hammer
for the top note is missing, no sign of it anywhere in or around the
piano.

Does anyone have experience working on these actions who can give me
an idea of how long it would take to redo about 30% of the jacks?
What is needed to fix the spring on these? I'm guessing there is no
parts supply house for things like a hammer, shank and flange...?

The piano itself is a pretty piece of work although I don't hold out
any great hopes for the sound."

Andrew,
What you are working on is the epitome of those painos! Try to have a
better/positive attitude and your encounter will be far more pleasing, IMO.
I work on them all the time. I have over 70 in my data base. I have used
parts for sale. As for the Jack Cords, I strongly urge you to do them all!
DAMHIK<G> Actually one of the most demanding things about a Mathushek, is
strip muting the multi-layers of strings, to tune the sucker! There is a
very good chance you can bring it up to Standard Pitch, (440), w/o any
string breakage. If you have questions, you can call me or email me
privately, if you wish. My signature says it all. (the third line.<G>)

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I