[pianotech] Moving the wippen heel - - more info

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 20 19:02:14 MDT 2011

David!
That one shot of your fingers that close to the band saw blade gives me the
willy wahs~!!! Make a Jig for gawd sake! The band saw is undoubtedly one of
the most dangerous tools because it doesn't make much noise and the blade
is so small...yada yada!
Also, I had an "OOPS" in my last post. The first set of those I did, had a
dowel aligning the Foot/Heel. In the newer version they use a notch. I
should have said: for the wippen with the "Mortise/Tenon type alignment",
I've also done it the same way, except I cut a new groove with an end mill,
(of the appropriate diameter to cut the appropriate slot). Using my Cross
vise, I made a jig and then moved the wippen into and through the end mill
to make a new slot. Worked nicely and gave a firmer glue up. Just my take
on it.<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police