[pianotech] Moving the wippen heel--reposting with more photos and corrections

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jul 21 00:41:08 MDT 2011

Good point!!!  No I didn't hold the heal with my hand. That was a photo just
for illustration.  I had not constructed a jig yet so I used a pair of joint
pliers to hold the heel while I trimmed the short protrusion (I'm sure I'll
be hearing from Joe Garrett on that one!).  Not perfect but worked well
enough to keep fingers away from the band saw blade and it's what I had.
For future projects I'll probably devise something a bit more suitable.

I did not use a jig to align the heels for gluing.  Before I started I
scored a line 4 mm from the end blocks (you can see it if you zoom in on the
photo attached--there's a faint pencil line drawn underneath the blocks that
have not been moved yet).  You don't really need to hold the heel in place
while it's being glued.  Lightly pressed together for even a few seconds and
Titebond Trim or even regular Titebond will grab almost instantly.  You
could also use hot hide if you wanted to but I didn't feel like heating up
the pot.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com