[pianotech] tightening the pressure bar

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Sat Jul 30 13:15:24 MDT 2011

There is nothing magical about a string deflection angle of 7.5˚ across the V-bar and it may or may not be appropriate for your particular piano. The minimum angle necessary to ensure reasonable termination of the string speaking length is function of the distance between the V-bar and the bearing bar or, in this case, the pressure bar. I call this length of string the "frontscale." If the centerline of the pressure bar is very close to the centerline of the V-bar--a frontscale length of, say, 10 to 15 mm--the deflection angle does not have to be very high; 5˚ to 7˚ is probably adequate. If the frontscale length is some greater--say 20 to 25 mm--the deflection angle should be more like 8˚ to 12˚. Assuming, of course, that you want to avoid string noises, false beating and tuning difficulties. If the frontscale length is more like 30+ mm the deflection angle should be at least 15˚, possibly more. Again, assuming you want to avoid string noises, false beating and tuning difficulties.

Keep in mind that the closer you set the bearing bar to the plate the more tendency the strings will have to walk down the tuning pins as the piano is tuned.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA
Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525
del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com