[pianotech] A new Pianotech list that works

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Sat Mar 12 11:50:42 MST 2011

To speak to Ron's comments, I say "what he said".

As for Higher Logic, it sounds like standard PR that doesn't address the
issues at hand.  You know, blah, blah, blah.

They may power umpteen associations and communities, but that still does not
a good product.  Magic words and no apparent criteria for what can or can't
do are spot on.  That's the greatest sin of this package - the interface is
completely half-assed.  It's stupid.  If it were well designed, we would not
have to be geniuses and figure it out.  If it were well designed, the
navigation would become quickly obvious to someone with a minimum of
computer skills.  It is the furthest thing from that.  Why aren't related
functions grouped together logically in the menuing system instead of here
and there and everywhere?  The whole menuing system is ill-concieved.
Please don't tell me that I am the problem, I've been using PC's since the
DOS days.  Yes, there is a learning curve that I must attend to, but the
package asks too much of us without giving any help.

And I think Ron is dead on with his comment about a ground floor rewrite.
These are core structural issues related to the incomplete conceptualization
of the architecture of the program.  Bugs you can fix, that's the smaller
aspect of our problems.  I haven't heard anyone who is defending the program
speak to the interface issues.  They only tell us that we need to learn it
and sometimes how to do things.  I suppose that is good, since there is no
documentation or help of any kind.  How much did we pay for this WCPOS?  WHY
was it chosen over other packages - what were the criteria that made it the
leading contenter?

Will Truitt