[pianotech] Pianola player...plastic parts?

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Fri Nov 4 13:46:07 MDT 2011

Well David, I’ve seen these things fail right at the glue joints.  Typically I could remove them by reefing on them until the glue joint would break and then pry apart the sections with a sharp knife, gently applied.  Sometimes, as I recall, I’d use a knife to pry apart the sections before breaking the valve off from the stack.  This would minimize the force needed to accomplish separation as each section would then come off one at a time.

PVC-E glue worked well for regluing after cleaning off the old glue with sandpaper.

The valve disks would sometimes separate from the fluted part and so some PVC-E glue once again would provide the fix.

Good luck.

Lar