[pianotech] Business Definition

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Nov 10 15:02:41 MST 2011

Yes indeed. I know I'm in a different country with different laws, so
maybe I shouldn't comment, but it seems crazy to me and I am sure it
would not stand up to proper legal scrutiny. If it does, the
implications are huge!

The actual provision of the service (and the small amound of selling of
product, like Dampp Chasers and Cory products) does not take place in
the Technician's home.  All that happens in his home is an agreement
made by telephone to provide a service or sell a product in the HOME OF
THE CLIENT.  Technically then, the home of every client must be
appropriately registered as a place of business, since that is where the
service is provided, and payment received!

Could a County official even prove that telephone agreements to provide
a service take place in a Technician's home? Supposing the Technician
said "I only give out my cellphone number, and calls only ever come when
I am out and about, never when I am at home".  Where then is the place
where the agreement is made to provide the service?

Consider also the case of a peripatetic music teacher who does no
teaching in his own home, but always travels to the homes of his
pupils.  Is his home also his place of business?

Wim must surely be right, about asking for some official rulings.

Best regards,

David.