[pianotech] SnS 'B'Pianodisc opus 7 help

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Sun Nov 13 08:57:21 MST 2011

The newer style solenoids don't require pressing down on the keys. To
determine which style you have, reach in and press down on a solenoid with
your finger. The old style is spring loaded, the new style is not.

Yeah, Dean, I forgot about this.  The new tips are cylindrical in nature and give when pushed sideways.  The old ones are tear drop shaped and are simply pressed on an aluminum rod.  Additionally, the old ones are most likely getting hard by now and crumbling.

I guess out of old habit, I still press the damper pedal down (providing the mechanism is still in place after removing the rail cover) even with the keys not depressed.  It sure was nice of them to come up with a method to avoid the resulting possible damage experienced with the old solenoid tips.

Ten years ago I was installing close to 3 or 4 a month of these things  ..........  and then everything went ker plop.  I’ve enjoyed the vacation but in the process I’ve forgotten so much of the details.  I guess that’s a sign of a good vacation.

Lar