[pianotech] shift shim

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sun Nov 13 18:08:50 MST 2011

     I think most shift, (assuming we are talking about the una corda), problems I have seen have been because there is a leather pad that is torn off the trapwork. There is supposed to be a leather pad glued to the screwed on wood inlay that is on the shift lever.    Otherwise, there is something that is holding the action too far to the right, creating a large gap between the top of the shift lever and keyframe.
    And then there is the gap caused by the keyframe having been eroded and crushed where the shift lever contacts it.  I have always inlaid a piece of end grain ebony when rebuilding a keyframe and it has this problem.

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/index.html

The shift on my S&S has   about a 1/2" - 5/8" gap. Should I shim the action frame or add leather to   the shift lever at the pedal rod?

WIm