[pianotech] nomenclature

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Nov 14 07:26:13 MST 2011

A plea for sanity,

While it's still a long way from comprehensive, there is a standard
reference in this country that would eliminate most of the
characteristic recursive guesswork when someone asks a question making
up parts names as they go along. For $20 and shipping, "Piano Parts and
Their Functions" would often save considerably more than that in
cumulative time spent just trying to understand the description. A lot
of us were in the business long before the piano crisis hotline existed,
and will likely still be when it ends, and so were forced to figure
straightforward mechanical linkages (and a lot of other things) out for
ourselves. Given the amazing luxury of an on line knowledge base willing
to help, the consideration of using the most widely recognized and
nominally standardized nomenclature gives the people trying to help
something to work with, without making long Q&A translation not worth
the effort. With a $20 book, we'd save 20 posts attempting clarification
as everyone could look up the same common names, and start with the
actual problem.

I understand that it's an unreasonable expectation, but it remains what
I consider a reasonable request to at least make some attempt to
accurately name what we're talking about.
Ron N