[pianotech] Hammer Molding Leads, Rib Alterations & Belly Rail/Rib Wedge

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Nov 16 06:12:00 MST 2011

On 11/16/2011 12:11 AM, Paul Milesi wrote:

> Now, while servicing the Life Saver system, I saw that the ends of all ribs
> had been "modified" (chiseled?) near the rim.  I also discovered a wedge
> made of pinblock material under a rib at the belly rail towards the bass.
> Isn't this inhibiting soundboard movement?  Should I remove it?

There's usually not a lot going on in the front bass corner of the
soundboard that a wedge would change. I'd pull it and see if it's an
improvement similar to that made by weighting the hammers. If it sounds
worse without the wedge, you can always put it back in.

I have no idea why the ribs were chopped up there. I doubt such a
minimal change to the feathering would make any noticeable difference in
sound, but I also see no other reason to do it.

> What is all this about?  Are all these things attempts to improve tone,
> sustain, or what?  On a new piano of this quality/pedigree, these
> modifications baffle me.  Also, not fully/specifically disclosed to
> customer.

To me, it has the look of a bill of sale for the Brooklyn Bridge. If it
was a sincere attempt to improve tone, it was done with no clear idea of
either goal or methodology, and at the lowest standards of
craftsmanship. If the dealer had a "tech" do this, shame on the dealer,
and shame on the tech. If the dealer was the tech, shame on both of him.

The customer is the real loser here. I expect the warranty is down the
tubes, and they are stuck with the cost of trying to get the piano in
reasonable working order as well.
Ron N