[pianotech] tied bass strings

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Nov 16 00:05:27 MST 2011

Here are two pictures of a tied bass string at the hitch pin. The string was waaaay low, so I tried to pull it up, but the winding at the top was going over the bearing pin. I looked at the hitch pin to see what the problem was, and saw this. Someone went to a lot of trouble to tie this thing. I don't know if it was done by a technician, or if this was a home made job, The customer bought the piano several years ago, and had never had anything do to it.

There was actually another string that I replaced with the same kind of tie at the hitch pin. It's a 45 year old Wurly which had three other broken bass string,  and I didn't have the time, or the willingness, to replace another one.

Wim Bees RPT
Hawaii