[pianotech] piano behavior

Richard W. Bushey rbushey4 at embarqmail.com
Mon Nov 21 18:03:44 MST 2011

Marshall,

I tend to agree with Patrick, that a hard blow may have been the culprit...in conjunction with this possiblity.  If the lifter already had a loose fit in the end of the key, it wouldn't be too difficult, I wouldn't imagine, for it to bounce out...especially if the whippen center is a bit sluggish and doesn't return all the way (thus keeping the lifter wire high) as the key returns to rest, or at least returning slower than the key.  I know that the key usually only returns to rest if there is weight on the key end, but some of those spinet keys aren't balanced so very great...and on a hard blow, it is conceivable that the key could have tried to return and the lifter wire couldn't keep up because of the slow whippen center.

If that wasn't the case, it is possible that the last time the action was removed, for service, when it was reinstalled in the piano, that one may have not been seated all the way, and it worked for a while until they got tired of each other and decided to part company.  I've had to be careful when replacing the lifters into the key ends (forks or drilled out recesses in end of keys) that they are seated properly, or they will work themselves out.  It's really easy to miss one when puting everything back together.  I'm not sure it was that way from the factory as one suggested.

Just my two cents!

Richard W. Bushey
Richard's Piano Service
www.RichardsPianoService.com