[pianotech] black butt Baldwin

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 01:24:14 MST 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> I've yet to get a name for this stuff. It's black and sticky, and from
> around 1976. Anyone know?
> Ron N

No.  I've seen it before, also, but not sure where it comes from. Is there
black butt "leather" or leather substitute such as escaine or ecsaine (can
never remember which is correct) or similar material on the catchers?  I
wonder if the butt leather is impregnated with some kind of black powdery
stuff.
   I also run into Kawais where the catcher buckskin really fuzzes up and
sheds all over the catchers and backchecks, making a similar mess, but from
a different source.
--David Nereson, RPT