[pianotech] piano behavior - shrinking with H20 & alcohol - list mechanics

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sun Nov 27 12:45:12 MST 2011

David,
    Are you now or were you ever an engineer ?  <G> Just kidding really , but I think this is an example of putting way too much importance in the minutia of the process. The alcohol gets the water into the wool. The wool gets wet. Wet is wet . If you are shower for two minutes or five minutes you don't get any more wet. I'm not being condescending here but the bushing is saturated with water then dries.
 Now if you repeat the entire process after a complete cycle then I might be convinced that the shrinking would happen again and the center may get too loose.
We -- myself included -- can get bogged down in details when as in this case exact science ain't required.
Just my take and best wishes to you,
 Tom Driscoll