[pianotech] Key leveling

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 29 03:51:18 MST 2011

I have several Ludwig grands with this same system. At one point when I was
doing a lot of prep installations for David Steinbuhler, I had forwarded
this idea to David  to incorporate this leveling system in his reduced
keyboard actions. Due to the extreme flair in the key design in the  bass
and treble, key leveling took on a much difficult process. Being able to
level from a set screw made much more sense.
The one issue we discussed was where the screw bottom would actually make
contact to the balance rail. The big challenge was not to interfere with the
key ratio. A contact point on either side of the balance rail pin could
create some touch weight issues.
But all in all, the idea should have taken off a long time ago. Why the
manufactures never ran with this is beyond my reasoning. Maybe you could be
messenger and get manufactures to take notice.
Tom Servinsky