[pianotech] Upright price

Noah Frere noahfrere at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 07:27:26 MST 2011

I gave an estimate for repairs/assessment last week of a 90 year old Werner
upright who's player components had been removed. The insides were as
expected, though on the better side. Only one broken note (hammer flange),
few if any cracks in soundboard/bridges. However, the sound was clearly 90
years old and the bobbling hammers, etc. left much to be desired.

The seller was asking $275, to which I immediately responded (the potential
buyer and I were alone) that it was too much, and I would ask for it for
$50, but go up to $100 or even $150. Soon afterwards my attention went back
to the case, which I had forgotten about, and realized it was in very good
condition. The owner came in, and, hearing about the condition of the
interior, and the $100 offer, began to cry. She needed to sleep on it.

As the hours and days progressed, I started double-guessing myself. Had I
over-emphasized the interior while ignoring the quality exterior?
Maybe it *was *worth $275.

Hmm...