[pianotech] Acetone vs. thinner

Bob bobdavis88ptg at clearwire.net
Fri Oct 14 13:56:35 MDT 2011

Hi Ed,

[It's my first try with the new list system, so I hope it works.]
Anyway, I use acetone with hammer lacquer, for a lot of reasons. Apart
from the fact that it dries faster, my understanding is that although it
stinks, it is less ozone-depleting  and has lower toxicity than lacquer
thinner(use ventilation and a carbon respirator anyway). Lacquer thinner
has lots of solvents, which are useful for the control of flowout and
drying speed when spraying, but not relevant to hammer hardening.

When under time pressure, I like to decide early on wholesale juicing,
and do it right away. After ten or fifteen minutes, after the worst part
of the nasties have flashed off, I blow on it gently with a heat gun.
Don't try this at home, and don't sue me when the piano bursts into
flames. You didn't hear it from me, disclaimer, disclaimer. Good sense
is required; good general ventilation, don't get too close, keep it
moving, don't char the hammers, keep feeling them to keep track of their
temperature. Warm to the touch only. If anyone thinks I'm stupid for
suggesting it, DON'T DO IT.

I've found that it dries on a rapidly declining curve; you can tell a
whole lot about the direction of things in 30 to 45 minutes, more in an
hour or two, only a little more as the day goes on. Especially if
there's some touchup regulation to do, it can dry during that enough to
do hammer mating/string leveling, then the tuning, then you can check
again. Yes, it will continue to harden over the next day to week, but
it's precious little, so if you aim for just a little under, it will
probably be fine. Really, no voicing should be done in one shot, but if
you're far away you might not have that luxury, and this probably gets
you to the realm of touchup.

Ed is experienced with lacquer and has his own techniques, but for those
who don't:
Depending upon the results I'm after, once the juice has done its
initial wicking (within a few minutes), I often follow the general
juicing with a brief squirt of pure acetone right on the crown, since I
may not want it quite as stiff at the surface as I do right under. Then
later in the day, a separate decision can be made right at the surface,
since it dries even more quickly (especially with encouragement) than
deeper does. If there isn't too much stuff in the hammer already, you
can squirt the shoulders and watch it wick under the strike point and
almost to the surface; otherwise you might need to go in right through
the crown and follow it with straight acetone as above. Whatever you do
almost always needs to include the part under the crown.

Let us know how it comes out.
Bob Davis