[pianotech] From soft to loud

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Thu Oct 20 20:14:13 MDT 2011

Tom,

I'm not sure you understood my point (or maybe I'm not understanding yours).
 [?]  What you wrote is partly my point.  The suggestion I was trying to get
across is that I would never just slop on hardener and call it good.  One
could easily suggest that it's not worth charging for a job like that
because it literally would take one minute or less from the moment you
reached for the bottle until it was put back away - kind of like charging to
tighten a loose screw.  But the point was that I would feel like I was being
sloppy and thoughtless if I were to do such a thing.  Remember, in my
example, I was just, "making it louder."  Not even, not nice, just louder.
 If we wanted better control and performance (evenness and shading, and
etc.) then we proceed with my initial suggestion which was to address all
the incorrect things first - pinnings, bushings, hammer shape, worn
felts/leathers, lubrication, screws, regulation and THEN worry about the
subtleties of voicing.

William R. Monroe