[pianotech] Belly talk

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Sat Dec 1 13:39:40 MST 2012

HI Dale

< In the case cited the piano in question was an Stwy A-2 and having
done quite a few A-2s both ways...

Right. This is where the complexity of the system in general and each
individual belly comes into play.  I can see a reasoning why the sound
might be a little different between the single and double crown, but I
really don't think I would attribute it the 3 dimensionality of the
system as Nick is suggesting. Rather I could see it as distributing the
tail "bend down" in a more evenly trended fashion across more of the
long bridge rather than localized at just the tail.

I used to attribute more stiffness to the shape of the crown itself. But
after watching these things behave in and out of the piano the crown
shape in and of itself, at least in a minimally compressed rib crowned
board, really does not seem to be doing much in and of itself. As I say,
this was not my opinion originally but it certainly is where I'm going
right now..at least until suppertime<G>. However, to be clear my opinion
is being formed regarding the RC&C structure in particular, not a
compression system.

One difficulty in this discussion is that Nick is (correct me if I'm
wrong, Nick) talking about a CC system, and I am talking about a Rib
crowned system. I think Dale may be referring to a hybrid system.  If we
talk of 3 different structural systems as if they are the same
structural system, thing get mushy...an apples and oranges thing.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com