[pianotech] Mold

Barrie Heaton piano at a440.co.uk
Sun Dec 2 06:14:52 MST 2012

Do not use an air compressor mould is not good for you, the pours can
cause all sorts of health problems if they get into your lungs  A HEPA
vacuum cleaner is effective for this purpose. Wear gloves, mask and eye
protection when doing this cleanup.

Bleach is no good for moulds on pours items.

Non-porous surface

A mixture of 80% white whine vinegar and 20% water. Vinegar is a mild
acid which can kill 82% of mold species. However it also has the
advantages of being natural and safe. Vinegar is non-toxic and doesn't
give off dangerous fumes like bleach does.

Bleach can kill virtually every species of indoor mold that it comes
into contact with, along with its spores, leaving a surface sanitized
and resistant to future mold growth. however, using bleach is only
effective if the mold is growing on non-porous materials such as tiles,
bathtubs, glass and countertops. Bleach cannot penetrate into porous
materials and so it does not come into contact with mold growing beneath
the surface of materials such as wood and felt. Using bleach on these
materials will kill the mold above the surface but the roots within the
material will remain and the mold will soon return.
Porous surfaces eg wood

A mixture of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. This can be got from any chemist.
Hydrogen peroxide kills mold as it is anti-fungal as well as anti-viral
also, anti-bacterial. Hydrogen peroxide is a good alternative to
chlorine bleach because it is safe to use and doesn't damage the
environment, nor does it leave behind toxic residue or produce toxic
fumes like chlorine bleach does. Since hydrogen peroxide is a bleaching
agent it may also help fade the stain mould leaves behind. Spot test
hydrogen peroxide on the material you're going to be cleaning to make
sure it won't fade the material's colours.

Tea Tree Oil At the ratio of 1 teaspoon per cup of water. Of all the
natural mould killing solutions tea tree oil is the most effective.
Although it is also expensive, a small amount of tea tree oil goes a
long way in killing mould. Tea tree oil is an essential oil which is
harmless to humans and pets. Tea tree oil is anti fungal, capable of
killing all types of moulds. Tea tree oil is antibacterial as well.
Spray the solution on the mouldy surface or use a clean cloth with the
tea tree oil solution to clean away mould.

The other problem with mould on felt is it attracts moths

Barrie

In message <B59D6F68-6F88-4B6A-9573-5E2F3A18E4D9 at bellaliant.net>, John
Ross <jrpiano at bellaliant.net> writes

--