[pianotech] Belly talk

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Sun Dec 2 09:55:41 MST 2012

Dale said:

<Power with out noise. A beautiful blooming sustain. The piano speaks
easily and there is awesome definition and tonal balance between
registers. Nothing muddy, lots of clarity.

Your sing'in my song, my friend!

So here's my big question:

Regarding the words you've used above, especially the "power without
noise", I completely agree with and seek this sound you have described.

However, over the last couple of years, on this list and particularly on
CAUT, my impression has been that this sound profile has been roundly
denigrated as unacceptably "controlled" and inappropriate for serious
performing pianists (mostly late romantic classical).  So much so that
my impression has been that the whole RC&S paradigm was being challenged
as inappropriate to the needs of performance venues. The denigration (my
word and maybe my subjective impression), was rehearsed in a Journal
series a 12/2011-1/2012( I think it was a CAUT conversation) which
started with Laurance Libin musing about how hard it is to blind
differentiate between S&S, Bechstein, Yammy, much less an S&SNY D from a
Hamburg D.  (Galembo's series later empirically concurred with this
observation). Then Libin's musings on tone and Arledge's blind test
which unanimously favored mellow Chickering sound, were then quickly
hijacked, as usual, by the "blast sound though the concert hall"
argument which quite directly challenged the validity of this sound
profile I think you and I are talking about.

I took this "denegration", mostly by CAUT techs and their high profile
performance requirements to heart, though I disagreed and disagree with
it whole-hardheartedly. I decided, rather than try to insert, at high
financial risk, my vision in a market "supposedly" looking for more
noise and less clarity, to target, through a serious and expensive
website development and campaign, like minded pianists from a wide
geographical area. My take was (presently is) that it was way safer to
draw clients directly from the sounds I make, rather than draw them from
tech referrals which come with tech influenced "the way its supposed to
sound" biases..and its working for my small business.

So my question to you Dale is...you've heard this above "appropriate
performance tone" discussion above, as I have. You also have a keen
business sense, and you seem to be drawing from a wider customer base
than I am targeting. Are you having to deal with this (for lack of a
better term) CAUT bias with the sounds you are making?

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com